Knowing your cask from your elbow

Addie just wanted it today. Following Heath's off-topic Fosters post last week, he was quite determined to discuss real beer.

However, what we actually discussed was everyone's recent tiredness and lack of general wellbeing. I have had a shocking cold and spent much of the past weekend doing what only a bloke can properly do, which was feeling deeply sorry for myself. Meanwhile, Addie persists with a swollen and painful elbow story, although he offers no actual insight into what may be the underlying cause of his arm centric misery. Perhaps it's the lack of anything else to moan about which brings it on.

I was about to choose a sensible lunchtime pint when other local beer monkeys suggested we went for the Red River, by W J King brewery at 4.8%. Slightly dangerous for a midday singleton, we opted for it anyway. It was strong and caramel flavoured. Taken alongside its red colouring it somehow reminded me of toffee apples, and it had a sweetish smell. The finish was a bit acrid, so it drops a bit in my estimation for that and I'm giving it a 4/10. It was ok, but just a bit too much like hard work for a man convalescing.

Addie's elbow had no trouble with it, though. Unless he was using his other hand. In the end I suppose I should have a little sympathy. Up until recently he could never even lift a finger.


Comments