Hand Pulled Pints, Bottles or Tinnies

I had hoped to make it to the local for the first post, but time (2 small children and work) prevented me. So how do I like to drink my ale, pints (no halves for me), bottles or tinnies?

Let's start with the dreaded John Smiths (I haven't seen this for a while as I don't look for it, but we served it the pub where I worked - some time ago), Caffreys and the like. My view is these types of beer (not ale in my mind) are metallic fizzy and too cold. Horrible stuff.

So tinnies, and bottles. Now I'm going to lump these together, as in my mind they suffer the same problem. It's impossible to get the temperature right, either run your fridge warm and ruin the meats, cheeses, etc, or end up with a cold tasting ale making your teeth chatter whilst you wait 30 minutes for it to warm up (that's time for another pint). I do prefer bottles as they taste better, but a can of something that once purported to be an ale is better than a John Smith.

My favourite of course is a hand pulled pint (straight out of the barrel is acceptable), somehow pubs manage to get it cold but not freezing, the full taste is clear on the palate. Finally since I'll be at a pub, good company (unless of course I'm with Siddie).

It is clear to me there is an order to these things, and times when any is the right option. As most people (I suspect) a pint in the pub is the best choice, but a bottle, or can in the fridge sometimes just has to do, and with all good beers drunk shortly after being put in the fridge (and Ruddles is fine).

Comments