Chuggers

Whilst walking near a busy London rail station we pass some good natured 'Chuggers', for those that haven't come across this term, it's a colloquialism for charity muggers. These young people wearing charity branded T-shirts and carrying a clipboard, generally move directly into your walking path then beg for a moment of your time. Being a regular London commuter, I've been acosted many times and no matter what they say, my destination (home) is more important to me than helping the individual with the commission they get for signing someone up. It's not that I think the charities are not a good cause, it's just the way they are trying to sign people up.

I've seen 'Monty Python walks' behind people, not leaving someone alone who has said no, and harassing people along the footpath, bad languague, and just getting in the way. As Siddie was descibing, this charity collection work is big business, and I don't doubt that for a minute, but what I do object to is getting in my way whan I have to collect my children from school. You would also think that the charities themselves want to be seen in a good light, and certainly mocking the public (Monty Python walk) isn't going to do that.

Charity may well begin at home, but it doesn't when I'm in a hurry. As usual work was pressing today and I was in a rush to have a wander in the sunlight when I happened upon Itchen Valley brewery Pure Gold at 4.8%

Very nice. lightish beer, no strong after taste, but good beer flavour, masking its alcohol strength. I think I could have a long evening on this and get very annoyed with the Chuggers, and a sleep past my train stop. This is a 7 out of 10 for me.

Comments